Our Town: a brief history
Alfred Wolcott of Connecticut came to Boston Township in 1805 with a surveying party to locate the lands that belonged to Simon Perkins. Among the members of the surveying party was James Stanford. After returning home for the winter, Wolcott, Stanford and a few other men arrived back in Boston Township in 1806 and erected a cabin at the site of the present day Boston Cemetery. That same year, Wolcott traded his lands along the Cuyahoga River for Stanford's lands on the eastern rim of the valley. More settlers followed, resulting in the official organization of the township on January 15, 1811. At that time what had been known only as Range 11, Town 4 of the Connecticut Western Reserve became known as Boston Township.